I was recently made aware of a belief in South Africa that AIDS can be cured by raping a virgin. I went online to read more about this atrocity, and it is actually happening regularly. For many years women (especially black women) in South Africa have been abused and raped and have had less rights than any other women in the world. During the years of apartheid this was overlooked, because the regime agreed that black people and especially black women were second rate citizens and these reports were rarely policed.
Unfortunately, in the South African after apartheid - now free from its oppressors for 20 years, this second rate status still continues. A lot of the brutal behaviour towards black South African women and girls, have been attributed to tradition and many girls are brought up to "accept these things as the way of the world".
The most shocking current occurrence is that men who are HIV positive or who have AIDS, have started raping baby girls to cure them of this disease, and in one instance a three year old baby girl was attacked by several men. I cannot even comprehend this act . How is this possible? How can a man even manage an erection to complete this act? How can we as a society (man or woman) allow this from happening?
Why do I feel so powerless?
No comments:
Post a Comment